Monday, October 1, 2012

Campus Materials Analysis

Photo courtesy of iStock Photo

Argh Matey, another quest to find the best (and the worst) materials on campus! My mission was to find an example of the six fabric applications. The applications that the captain left me with were as follows: seating, wall covering, floor covering, paneling system, fiber based art, and window treatments. While sailing around campus this week, I kept my eyes peeled in the bird's nest and recorded my findings. Some I found were great, and others, belonged on the poop-deck! Take a look at me bootey:

Seating

Yikes! This bus seat looks like it fell out of the 70s! The corner of the seat is beginning to fray where it gets the most traffic. I think public transportation should have a seating surface that can easily be wiped clean.

This chair looks like it hasn't help up very long. The leather is decent, but the fabric seat has been used and abused by clumsy, hungry college students.

Wall Covering
This sleek and clean wall covering is functional and aesthetic.

Floor Covering
The dark color of this carpet hides stains or any other imperfections. If it were to be damaged beyond repair, a single square can be removed and replaced. Great choice for high traffic areas!

Paneling Systems

These panneling systems were used on the ceilings. I think the use of hard materials rather than fabrics was a good decision because they can be removed for any maintenance issues.

Fiber Based Art
It is fiber based and it is art! This display of flags gives a laid-back feel to an informal building. I love seeing these flags when I leave the SUB. GO Tech!

Window Treatments
It was hard to find any window treatments on campus that were fabric. These metal blinds in the Architecture building filter light and keep heat out in the classroom. I think they also keep the daydreamers from being able to stare out during class!

This quest helped me open my eyes to my surroundings more than I had before. These are examples of applications that do and don't fulfill all the necessary qualifications. I can see myself in the future being very critical about the finishes I see everyday!










1 comment:

  1. LOve your background and blog! I love your pirate post about the all about looks and your unusal materials you presented in class. I had never heard about that but it was very neat and intersting.

    ReplyDelete